In 1850, Auguste-Christophe and Gustav Meukow, two brothers from Silesia were sent to France to find eaux-de-vie. After several trips, they decided to establish a commercial office in the town of Cognac, on the 1st of August 1862. A.C.
The brand grew rapidly from its inception. In 1865, Henri Bouraud acquired shares and became a partner to the Meukow brothers.